Thursday, January 06, 2005

...as my list of things to knit grows...

... my WIPs are stagnating. The project currently taking the longest is this one:



The pattern for this vest is from a 1945 knitting leaflet entitled Knitted Perennials by "Botany". I'm not sure why they have quotation marks around Botany, but who am I to question? The yarn I'm using is Bendigo Woollen Mills 3 Ply Classic, in Cranberry, a lightish red-maroon. It's my first attempt at cabling, and although the photo doesn't show it well (it's the best photo of the cables I've been able to get.. there's just something I'm not doing right to capture it well), it's all relatively even. After about 7 months of on and off work, I finally finished the back of it. I'm working on the ribbing for the front now, and to say knitting 2x2 rib with 3 Ply on 2.25mm needles is tedious, is an absolute understatement.

This project, by comparison, is speeding along at a tonne of knots:



Also a vest, the pattern comes from the 9th November 1974 edition of English Womens Weekly. The tasteful combinations that were suggested for this pattern were grey and blue, amber and rust, oatmeal and sage, and turquoise and grey. I opted for the more subdued olive and light green 5 Ply from Bendigo Woollen Mills. I think they're both from the Colonial range, but I'm not sure, as they were from the bargain room they have out the back of the shop, and they didn't have labels. The vest is my first attempt at colour work, however, I'm just carrying the colour not in use behind the rest of the work, so I think I might be cheating a bit. I've been worried about it puckering a bit, from pulling the thread across the back too tightly, so I'm hoping that the fabric will settle a bit after blocking.

The weather has been unseasonably cold, so hopefully the knitting productivity can increase! I am really going to have to stop looking on the net at patterns and yarn, as in the last week, I've purchased Rebecca Home (I think that's what it's called - it's a knitted homewares special anyway), and Jo Sharp book 6. I'd already bought the yarn for a pattern in the Jo Sharp book, so that's no so bad, but I fear reading Rebecca will spawn a desire to add scores more projects to my list, and a subscription. I'm hoping there is somewhere in Australia I can buy Rebecca, else a subscription will really sting financially - I paid about AUD$30 for the one magazine!!!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home