Sunday, May 29, 2005

sooooooock



Well, it's not the most attractive thing in the world. Let's just call it.... practical. Although I've not yet grafted the stitches at the toe, my first ever sock is finished. I'm not sure if anyone else feels like this, but I've always thought of sock knitting as a watershed in a person's knitting career - I can knit socks, now I can knit anything (even if I don't want or need it)! It must be the daunting task of turning the heel that makes it feel so significant.

I'm getting a little ahead of myself, because I haven't finished the other one yet. I'll have to get onto it quicksmart though, because they are for my Dad's birthday, on Tuesday, and I'm still working on the cuff of the second sock.

I decided to ditch the original sock yarn for some navy 8ply superwash from Bendigo, for a couple of reasons:
1). They would knit up quicker. As I'm now into the exam period, and my attention span is just ridiculously bad, I needed to get through the socks quickly.

2). My Mum has a reputation as a serial woollen sock shrinker. Thus superwash will prolong its lifespan.

3). They are a better colour for my Dad. I don't know if I can elaborate on that statement further, so I shan't.

4). They will be thicker. My Dad works in a cold cold tin shed, so the 8 ply would provide a bit more warmth, and would be less likely to wear out as fast as the 4ply sock yarn. Cold feet are the worst when you're on your feet all day.

Really, I should stop spouting the virtues of using this yarn, and just go and finish the other sock.

Oh, but before I go, a sort of strange thing happened on the tram on Friday. I had only a couple of rows of ribbing on the needles, when a lady walked past me and asked "socks?", to which I replied "yep!", to which she replied "Good girl!", and kept walking. I found it nice strange, but strange all the same.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home