I.have.no.willpower. Part one
First of all, apologies for the last post. I should have waited a few days after finding out the cabled jacket in Inca wasn't meant to be, before whinging about it. I still haven't touched it, but I should go and frog it soon, instead of letting it gather dust in the corner.
My yarn diet came to an end this week. I spied a bag of yarn at the op shop for $6, which contained 250g of Jo Sharp Classic DK Wool in Navy. The very same Jo Sharp yarn that retails for AUD$5.60 a ball, so I'm quite happy. I'm not sure what I'm going to do with it, and I have to unwind the balls (which have been wound into centre pull balls, for some reason) and wash them to get the op shop stink out of them, but it's worth the effort for the bargainious nature of the purchase.
The bag also had a lot of baby yarn, which seems to be an op shop yarn staple, and a bit of Patons Totem, in a hideous shade of salmon pink. Because I don't know anyone who has a baby, or is going to give birth within the next 9 months, I'm going to knit up as many baby hats as I can, and give them to the Children's Hospital not far from me. It's my first foray into charity knitting, and in fact probably the first 'real' charitable thing I've done (or will do). I'd rather donate my time and skills, rather than my money (mainly because I really don't have much after rent and food), so it seems a good way to use up stash that I don't want/need, and give something that I know will be used (the lady I spoke to at the hosptial seemed surprised that I wanted to make hats for newborns, it seems that most of the time hats are made for premature babies).
The salmon pink Totem will be used for one of the dinosaurs I've been meaning to knit for ages now. I think the Brontosaurus would be best suited to salmon pink - in fact, it's entirely possible that Brontosauri (Brontosauruses?) were salmon pink anyway, as no one knows what colour they were.
And just so this post doesn't go photoless, I'm now on the home stretch on the front of Matt's jumper. I really don't like putting in progress photos, especially when it's a fairly plain garment like this, but I think I might start having to do that, just so I have something to write in here (I'm suffering from extreme blog neglect guilt)!

I really like how it is turning out, and it's a nice feeling to know that I am actually getting somewhere with a project. I'm even looking forward to the sleeves!
My yarn diet came to an end this week. I spied a bag of yarn at the op shop for $6, which contained 250g of Jo Sharp Classic DK Wool in Navy. The very same Jo Sharp yarn that retails for AUD$5.60 a ball, so I'm quite happy. I'm not sure what I'm going to do with it, and I have to unwind the balls (which have been wound into centre pull balls, for some reason) and wash them to get the op shop stink out of them, but it's worth the effort for the bargainious nature of the purchase.
The bag also had a lot of baby yarn, which seems to be an op shop yarn staple, and a bit of Patons Totem, in a hideous shade of salmon pink. Because I don't know anyone who has a baby, or is going to give birth within the next 9 months, I'm going to knit up as many baby hats as I can, and give them to the Children's Hospital not far from me. It's my first foray into charity knitting, and in fact probably the first 'real' charitable thing I've done (or will do). I'd rather donate my time and skills, rather than my money (mainly because I really don't have much after rent and food), so it seems a good way to use up stash that I don't want/need, and give something that I know will be used (the lady I spoke to at the hosptial seemed surprised that I wanted to make hats for newborns, it seems that most of the time hats are made for premature babies).
The salmon pink Totem will be used for one of the dinosaurs I've been meaning to knit for ages now. I think the Brontosaurus would be best suited to salmon pink - in fact, it's entirely possible that Brontosauri (Brontosauruses?) were salmon pink anyway, as no one knows what colour they were.
And just so this post doesn't go photoless, I'm now on the home stretch on the front of Matt's jumper. I really don't like putting in progress photos, especially when it's a fairly plain garment like this, but I think I might start having to do that, just so I have something to write in here (I'm suffering from extreme blog neglect guilt)!

I really like how it is turning out, and it's a nice feeling to know that I am actually getting somewhere with a project. I'm even looking forward to the sleeves!

3 Comments:
Hello Emma...I found your blog via a SnB Melbourne groups email and I have to say that I'm impressed with your knitting prowess!
By the way I made a beanie for my boyfriend using Inca and I too might as well have made it for a gorilla with a gridiron helmet on: it would have gone well with your cabled jacket. :)
Hi Anna,
Thanks for having a look at my blog. I knit so slowly, that I post so infequently, that it makes my blog, well, crap really hehe.
I'm still a little cross with Inca. It looks so nice on the shelf, and I thought it knit up nice too, but just seems to look terrible as clothing (unless you're a gridiron playing gorilla).
I think it's great that you want to do charity knitting. Could I please tell you something first hand from a Mom who had a premature baby?
These babies are far more in need of warmth...for survival and if the parents are to have any chance to hold their child( provided the child can be held at all.)
They need to be very well swaddled in order to be in regular room temperatures.
Post a Comment
Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]
<< Home